Monday, February 15, 2010

Letter from Senator Howell re: LCI

Letter dated 2/10/10 from Senator Howell

Thank you for letting me know about your support for adequately funding public education and your opposition to the freezing of the Local Composite Index. As a former PTA president and teacher, I share your support for our public education system. Throughout my political career, I have fought for increased funding for education at all levels.

Over the past three years, we have cut about $7.5 billion from our General Fund. We must cut at least an additional $4.2 billion this General Assembly session. To give you some context for the scope of the problem, before the recession we were spending almost $37 billion for General Fund purposes such as education, healthcare, and public safety. Needless to say, all aspects of state government are facing reductions of historic proportions. Not since the Great Depression has Virginia experienced such
drastic revenue shortfalls.

The Virginia Constitution requires us to balance the budget and we are not allowed to engage in deficit spending. Last month we were informed our additional debt capacity for capital projects is zero. Our Rainy Day Fund is largely depleted. Our new Governor has vowed repeatedly to veto any bill that contains a tax increase. The consequence is that we will have to balance the budget through additional program cuts.

To make matters worse for Fairfax County Public Schools, the former Governor refused to implement the new Local Composite Index calculation. The new calculation would have provided FCPS an additional $61 million. You can be sure I will fight this unprecedented and indefensible action. In addition, our new Governor supports unfreezing the LCI. This is helpful but does not guarantee success. As a Senate budget conferee, I am holding firm that the LCI approved by the courts be respected.

I would suggest that advocates for public education encourage the Fairfax Board of Supervisors to raise additional funds locally. Any increased revenue would be spent locally and not sent to other parts of the state through the judicially required Local Composite Index.

I am sorry to have to share such gloomy news. Fairfax County has a premier school system. I will do everything I can to prevent its decline.

Please continue to contact me throughout the legislative session about issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,


Janet Howell
Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone is welcome to comment. Your comment will be posted shortly ... after it has been reviewed.